The special character of our school
We are a school that believes in whole child education and this principle guides teaching and learning in every class. We understand that a child that is unable to speak or one that struggles to communicate still has the ability and right to learn.
Amazing k has the healthy development of the individual child as its central impulse. Our curriculum aims to support and enhance the healthiest possible development for each student whilst giving equal importance to nurturing the physical, emotional and intellectual aspects of the child.
Amazing K’s character is not confined to any single aspect of the school’s activity but rather expressed in its curriculum content and teaching methods, organizational structures, as well as details of the social and physical environment of the school. It is essentially an integrated approach. All subjects and activities are seen to have equal importance within the curriculum, and all contribute to a complete and balanced education.
Because our learners spend so much time in school, our school offers a critically important opportunity to ensure that all students get the support and help that they need to reach their full potential.
We involve a variety of people in our educational approach such as, school staff, parents, therapists, medical professionals and autism specialists.
- All educators form part of the “whole school community” we embrace.
- Each Educator is expected to use his/her own special personality and/or skill to help us achieve the purpose of the school.
- Each Educator is expected to self study and attend ongoing training workshops on a variety of topics relating to Autism Spectrum Disorder, Teaching methods and Intervention Strategies as we do not just assist the child but Amazing K also assists the families in their daily lives.
- The Amazing K Curriculum is diverse and each element of the curriculum is taught for its value.
- Self help, life skills, motor planning, sensory integration and speech/language all form an integral part of the curriculum at Amazing K. The truths and ethics of our program permeate in whatever the school does.
- The focal point of the whole school is the child and their individual educational need.
- The pupils are taught at their own pace and our ultimate goal for them is independence.
- No Educator will ever be expected to act against their own conscience or personal philosophy of life. That would be contrary to the aims of the school.
- We work as a team and all educators are expected to contribute, according to their individual strengths and within their personal convictions, to the total purpose of the school.
- All teachers are role models and they are expected to act in an appropriate manner at all times.
- To maintain a low student-teacher ratio which ensures every child is known as a person and can be assisted on an individual basis as needed.