We are a private day school and therapy centre for children from age 2 years. Our learners receive the best of both the schooling and therapy world. We offer Individualized Education Programs, ABA, Speech- and Augmentive Alternative Communication (AAC) therapy as well as a full and adapted Academic Curriculum.
Founded by Ilse Kilian-Ross a mother of an Autist, Amazing K opened its doors in January 2014 in Northwold. In 2017 a 2nd centre was opened in Sharonlea, Johannesburg.
As one of the biggest private Autism Schools in South Africa we are proud of the fact that we have in past years “mainstreamed” students annually, that learners have shown progression across all development areas and that we are in a position to help more children with a wider variety of intervention options.
Whilst intensive Early Intervention is the key to helping Autistic children reach their full potential it is not a guarantee that the child will be able to move into a regular educational environment or mainstream school.
The Curriculum Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS) set out by the Department of Basic Education is our guideline and a child’s scores on standardises assessments relating to language, literacy, numeracy, social & emotional development, pen-man-ship and daily living skill remains the determining factor.
Department of Social Development REF NUMBER: B/P 1000820230. We are now registered as an ECD and Partial Care Facility.
Being a School for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Centre for Applied Behaviour Intervention (ABA) means that we have all the expertise to:
- Increase language and communication skills for our children
- Improve behaviour in general relating to tantrums and sensory integration difficulties
- Develop the child’s social skills and emotional maturity
- Integrate the child into a natural group setting where they can learn to share and be part of a group
- Able to adapt to meet the needs of each unique learner
- Accommodate one-on-one and/or group learning
- Decrease problem behaviours
- Increase self-help and like skills that are useful in everyday life
- Nurture and develop the general motor planning of the child through our Physical Education program
- Nurture and develop the artistic skills of the child through our art, music and movement program
- Address Sensory Sensitivities and help give each child the coping skills they need to integrate into society
- Improve numeracy and literacy development