Amazing K Autism School in Johannesburg Admission Criteria
What we offer
Autism Therapy Center, Autism Treatment Center, Autism School, Autism Early Intervention Center or Autism Academy?
Amazing K is an Autism School and we are a Autism Therapy Center. Because of this we offer a unique Early Intervention solution so your child can get the best of both worlds. As a result they can attend a school, be part of a class, participate in group learning and they can also get as much one-on-one ABA therapy as they need.
Is ABA (Applied Behaviour Analysis) the only therapy offered at the school?
No! Amazing K school for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) offers a variety of therapies and extra mural activities:
Therapies for Autism
Because Autism affects speech & language in so many different ways we focus our therapies predominantly on this area. For instance some children don’t talk and need help finding their words. In other cases children can sing but can’t talk. Same goes for children that can babble but battle to form words. Echolalia – when a child copies sentences or phrases and use them “parrot” fashion. Scripting – when a child learns scrips from television and uses them instead of functional speech.
Speech, language and social communication is addressed at Amazing K autism school with:
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy
- Speech Therapy
- A strong Music program that forms part of the school curriculum
- Motor planning development that forms part of the school curriculum
When a child remains non-verbal and shows no signs of gaining speech:
- Communication Therapy or AAC therapy is offered as part of the school or on a out-leaner basis
- Sign Language and PECS
Amazing K school for Autism Application Process and Criteria
Booking a viewing:
So if you are considering enrolling your child into our Autism Center in Johannesburg the first step would be to phone our Northwold Head-Office on +2711 793 4053 or to email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a viewing appointment.
- First we set up a viewing interview with the parent and request that the child attend;
- Because we need to do a suitability assessment the child will be placed in a classroom for the duration of the viewing meeting/discussion;
- If the child is not able to join the parent on the initial viewing then a secondary assessment date will be arranged for the child (at no cost to the parent)
- The viewing interview is a Q & A session and we request that you bring with prior evaluations, assessments and or reports.
- Because suitability of placement is vital for the growth of your child we will only move onto enrollment if suitability is established.Update
- Once everybody is happy and we know the child will benefit from our program we will then move onto paperwork.
Criteria for admission
- The child may be no younger than 2 years but can be 2 years 1 day and older;
- Admission into the Autism School would depend of availability of space in a suitable classroom. Because our children are all so different we need to ensure the perfect fit.
- Enrollment into the Autism Therapy Center for ABA will depend on a suitability assessment and space;
- Participation or admission into our Afternoon Art and Alternative Autism Intervention Program will depend on a suitability assessment and space.
- Each learner must have a primary diagnosis off either:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Social Communication Disorder
- Pervasive Development Disorder (PDD or PDD-nos)
- Asperger Syndrome; or
- Be in the diagnostic process.
- Learner should not present with behavioral challenges that pose significant safety concerns for the child or other learners.
- Above all the child must benefit from the adapted autism specific curriculum and therapy services offered at the school.